Friday, February 20, 2009

Gee, Maybe I Should Go to the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. Then Again, Maybe Not...

Another pic from the recently unearthed archive. This photo was taken in 1973 or 1974 in Fairbanks at the awards banquet for what I believe was called the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA). Kinda a high school version of Rotary Club or the Junior Chamber of Commerce. Tim Wilson was, as I recall, the Juneau Chapter Whim-Wham.

Although not a card-carrying member myself, I tagged-along on the trip as the semi-official photographer with the goal of checking-out the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. I didn't REALLY think I wanted to go there; but figured what the hell...may as well take a look-see. Or at least that's what I told my folks to get them to fork over the dough to send me on the trip.

I vividly recall checking into a downtown hotel and noting the time and temperature sign across the street which indicated it was seventeen degrees below zero fahrenheit. This was in March. I never bothered to go look at the campus...


The Juneau delegation (left to right) Lynette Bergeron, Carl Swanson, Sue Ferguson, Doug Rickey and Tim Wilson. I have zero recollection as to what it was they did to earn all the glory.

We took a bus from Fairbanks to Anchorage...although I do not recall why. It was clear and cold and the northern lights were the most spectacular I have ever seen.

No comments: