Monday, February 23, 2009

Dead But Afraid to Fall

There's an excellent piece in the Huffington Post (via the New York Times) this morning on why nationalization of Citi, Bank of America, and other living-dead banks ought to proceed without further ado. I suspect the author is correct. The alternatives, pumping more taxpayer dollars into these institutions without taking actual ownership or acquiring their duff assets at some necessarily arbitrary price would likely prove to be both a bad deal for the U.S. taxpayer as well as prolong the national credit drought. The article can be viewed at: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/opinion/23krugman.html?_r=1

In other news, I will be house sitting for a bit longer than anticipated. Joan needs to stay in Boise with her folks for awhile. The doggies and Skelter the Cat seem to be doing just fine; the canines are all snoring on the couch as I type and the puddy-tat was last seen curled-up in front of the heat register in the bathroom.

It's clear as a bell today and supposed to remain nice all week. There was a high wind warning for last night but it never blew here by the Federal Building. Looks like there's plenty of snow blowing around on Mt. Roberts, however, so they may be rocking and rolling in Douglas. It's supposed to be near 30 degrees today and in the teens tonight - not at all bad for February.

I am trying to figure-out what I want to do for a vacation in April. I spotted what appeared to be a really good deal on a cruise - a 21 day sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver B.C. via the Panama Canal with a balcony-equipped stateroom for only $1,999. Unfortunately, upon further inquiry it turns out that the single-occupancy fare is double that - $4100 with all taxes and fees included. I am still in negotiations with Holland America - the sailing is NOT anywhere near full and there is a chance that the single-occupancy price may drop significantly in the next couple of weeks. Anyone want to go on a 21 day cruise with me for $1999? Stay tuned...

On the elder front, dad's edema appears to be worsening again. His legs are quite swollen. It is a constant battle to get him to keep his feet elevated. If it's still bad this morning I think I'll see if I can persuade the old coot to go to the doc - also a battle. It's not clear what the underlying problem is - other than general decrepitude - and he is unwilling to go through any serious diagnostic tests. So, "situation normal" on the elder front.

Alison cooked a wonderful shrimp curry on Saturday night and invited the usual mooches - Eric and I - to partake. I had a second great supper at Zephyr's late last week; but I am going to cook at my own digs this week.

And I need to prepare my taxes. Ugh!

No comments: