Friday, May 29, 2009

The Best Weather Forecast I can Recall

Just got home from cocktails with Jay Livey and Chris Ashenbrenner - good friends from my Health and Social Services Days.

Jay was Commissioner of the department in the waning days of the Tony Knowles Administration - he was foolish enough to make me one of his deputies. He had served as a deputy commissioner for many years prior to his elevation to Commissioner and he and I were noon hour gym buddies for a long time.

We were both pretty religious about our workouts - a well known fact which I'm sure was exploited by others who calculated that any 11 AM meeting was more than likely going to end promptly at noon if Jay and/or Elmer was presiding. Jay is leaving tomorrow for Seattle where he and his wife, Vivian, now have a home. He will be back in August - he's working off-and-on for Lyman Hoffman, one of the Co-Chairs of the Senate Finance Committee. I think the world of my former leader.

Chris just started (today) as the Juneau staff person for our new U.S. Senator Mark Begich. She was the Director of Public Assistance in the good ol' days and has more recently been working with the domestic violence community whose internal politics are even more convoluted than Alaskan fisheries politics. She is one GREAT gal.

But now to the REAL news. The weather. Next week is summer. We may get more...but I know better than to count on it. Highs near 80 FUCKING DEGREES! Whoo Hoo! Clearing off on Saturday night...good through Friday.

I am going to recreate 'till hell won't have it.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I hope they are right. However, after two bike rides today that rendered my fingers numb from the cold, and observing new snow on the peaks overlooking the local glacier, I have my doubts.