Friday, May 8, 2009

The Home Stretch

5/7/09

We pulled into Long Beach yesterday morning about 7 AM. A beautiful day in LA – sunny and warm but not at all uncomfortable. The average age of the passengers on board dropped about 15 years as folks disembarked in Los Angeles and a younger crowd came aboard. It was quite boisterous around the pool on the stern of the Lido Deck last evening as we pulled-out of Long Beach. Lots of tropical drinks, a conga line, Beach Boy music etc. etc. I was on relatively good behavior – had a couple of glasses of wine during Happy Hour, an early supper and was sawing logs by 10 PM.

I woke up sometime during the night and the ship was rocking and rolling pretty good. This morning it’s blowing about 35 knots from the northwest and we have about 18 foot seas. Many folks look somewhat subdued after last evening’s festivities.

Yesterday I took a tour up to Malibu and Santa Monica. Spent a couple of hours wandering around the Santa Monica pier and environs. Also a couple of quick stops in Hollywood. Like so many shore excursions, however, about half the time was spent on a bus. Traffic in LA was as one would have expected… Still, it was quite fun.

I just finished my morning latte and am contemplating a workout. Could be a little tricky on the ol’ treadmill given the sea state. I will have to hold on with both hands.

Just saw on CNN that there’s an ugly wildfire near Santa Barbara. I’m not surprised. It is mighty dry in Southern California. I can’t imagine fighting fires on the steep and brush-choked hillsides and canyons. And of course all the gazillion dollar homes are perched right in the middle of this tinderbox. My natural sympathy for anyone who loses a house to wildfire is tempered by the underlying lunacy of building in some of these areas in the first place.

5/8/09

Two days posting at one time…trying to conserve my few remaining minutes.

We experienced rough seas all day yesterday…they closed-off the outside decks.

I spent a quiet day at the gym and reading…then a nice long siesta followed by drinking, and eating and drinking and dancing. And then some more drinking. I’m feeling a tad bilious this morning – think I rolled-out of the nightclub about 2 AM. I have a dim recollection of doing shots of Jagermeister with a couple of officers and theater staff about 1 AM. It was serious fun…but damn glad I don’t have to shake MY booty on stage tonight. Or stand watch. In fact, I’m already looking forward to an afternoon nap. I think I’m also committed to giving a bunch of folks a tour of Juneau in a couple of weeks. And a lot of the theater staff now have my email address and phone number. It was a VERY good night. Hah!

Last evening we were joined by the M/S Westerdam. She will follow us into Vancouver and then sail to Seattle before joining the Alaska fleet. She’s now following in our wake. At 88 thousand tons apiece, the Westerdam and Zuiderdam squadron now dominate the Northwest sea lanes. Rumor has it that a Carnival ship may be in the area.

If we spot any opposition we will go to battle stations, close with the enemy and pull along side. Elderly marines on the Lido and Observation decks will fire a broadside of canes and walkers. Attractive massage therapists will hurl hot stones at the enemy from the Greenhouse Spa. Victory will be ours!

Next report - dateline Juneau. It’s been a ton of fun kids…

No comments: