Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Deal Too Good to Be Good

Just had supper at the Island Pub with David and Cathy Bohna and my daughters' good pal, Kira. The Bohnas are headed south to Phoenix on Wednesday to close on a 2200 square foot house...recently remodeled. It's gonna set 'em back less than 100k. Kira is going to be house/dog sitting for them and I'm back-up dog sitter guy.

Wow! On the drive home I experienced the same feelings I have once a year when, about the first of May, I think I need a boat. A hundred grand for a 2200 square foot home is pretty sweet. About the time I crossed the bridge I was thinking about how I could possibly find someone to elder sit and I should head down that way to get a piece of the action. Hell, I could pay cash.

Fortunately, by the time I crossed Lemon Creek, I was beginning to think rationally. I don't WANT to live in Arizona - not even for five months a year - and having a beautiful home at a fantastic price in a place you don't want to be is not really a good deal. I want to be in the Northwest... Neither Elmo nor retirement basset hound want to be walking in the desert...

Still...the experience was an important reminder that the clock is ticking...and interest rates will not remain this low indefinitely.

David and Cathy have been busy on several fronts...they also just traded in their Jeep for a brand new 2010 Prius. I got to see the control panel in the parking lot. Lots of pretty dials and gizmos. An 11 gallon tank and over 50 miles per gallon. The car's interior is as big as a Camry or Accord. Way cool.

Kira is working for Alaska Marine Lines and appears to be thriving. She looks like a million bucks. She said she just spoke to Amanda and Leah and is working on getting them both up this way this spring. She's planning a trip to Ireland.

By the time I reached the Switzer interchange I had completely regained my senses. Need to fold-up the tarp in the folks' yard tomorrow...all the wood outside of the shed has now been burned. And I'll call my cousin Sandra who is in town for a week and see if I can help with a dump run from Auntie's.

Sigh...

No comments: