Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Another Christmas...

Another Christmas done.  Quite fun.  I did lots of cooking this season...learned how to make candy.  I think once a year for candy is about right...

Christmas Eve was the traditional get-together at Alison's and Doug's for supper - a great big prime rib.  Alison is the Christmas Queen on the decoration front.  A good time was had by all.  Alison and Doug gave me a really good kitchen knife.  Can't beat that fine German steel. 

Christmas dinner at mom's place featured turkey with all the trimmings.  I was Side Dish Elmo with a fruit salad, green bean casserole, and potato and carrot puree.  Gifts were exchanged. 

I spoke to both Leah and Amanda on Christmas day.  Leah was just getting ready to pack-up in Olympia and return to Portland.  She had to be back at the wine cellar on the 26th.  She was in good spirits although she is still fighting a bad cold.

Amanda checked-in from Boston where she was having Christmas supper with her boyfriend Daniel's extended family.  Sounds like the east coasters were intrigued by the Alaskan in their midst.  Amanda was amused.  They were going to hit the road back to New Hampshire late Christmas day.  Hope they beat the blizzard.  

Indeed, I just checked the weather for Hanover, NH and it looks like it has finally cleared up after a big snowfall.  Sounds like things are still a real mess at all the major Northeast airports.  I believe she is scheduled to fly back to PDX on December 30th.  One would hope that the insanity will have abated by then...

Sorry I haven't posted much...but my heart just hasn't been in it lately.  I assume that is because I really don't have much to report.  Hopefully the New Year will usher in a little more excitement - like a trip out of this burg.  Flights to Hawaii and hotels in Maui are pretty tight through most of January...so I'm thinking maybe a week in PDX and environs in early January and then a Hawaii trip in early February.  Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet though.

This morning I got a call from Dougie who informed me that a very good ol' pal is in town for a week.  Jerry Schilz worked with Doug and me at Legislative Finance back in the 80's.  He's a great guy.  I can't join them for drinks this afternoon due to an auntie medical appointment and supper at mom's - but I will track him down later in the week.

And I just spoke to Brent Long who is in town visiting his dad and brother.  We'll have lunch on Thursday.

So there you have it gang!

No comments: