Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Stuff

Ho!  Ho!  Ho!

Got my tree up yesterday.  The poor ol' thing is beginning to look a little ragged.  It's about 15 or so years old...it was initially purchased after several unfortunate incidents involving the family cats, Missy and Crazy, who were prone to climbing into the branches of natural Christmas trees resulting in serious mayhem.  I think it will be headed for the landfill after the current season.  Hate to do it...lots of kiddo memories associated with my current tree...  Fortunately, fond memories last longer than artificial Christmas trees.

I've also got a majority of my cards written.  Will try to get them all finished in the next day or two.  And I am resolved to getting my Christmas shopping done this week as well.  Yesterday I ordered some high quality chocolate online in anticipation of some serious candy making.  Joan is going to be the candy master.  I will be the candy helper elf.  I do love the holidays.

Otherwise it has been a pretty quiet week.  Went to the Moose Family Center on Friday for cocktails with Dougie and Eric.  Good fun. Saturday was one of the ugliest days I've seen in many a moon.  We had a about five inches of snow last week and it all vanished in about 12 hours under a deluge of rain and serious wind.  Ugh!  The forecast for the remainder of this week is quite unremarkable.  A little sun, a little snow and temps bouncing just above and below freezing.  Such it is...

In other news, I have been watching with disgust the U.S. Senate's "deliberations" over the Bush tax cuts.  It looks like it will be a big Christmas pudding for the wealthy and a lump of coal for the rest of us.  Although this morning the news suggests the deal will likely include some sort of extension of unemployment benefits.

But before I get too wound-up - time to remember that a couple of pictures (or cartoons) are worth a thousand words....


No comments: