Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Be Koi

Ah, the Sandwich Isles. Tropical breezes.  Tropical sunsets.  Tropical drinks.

A very uneventful flight from PDX direct to Maui.  We arrived 45 minutes early and I was at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa in time for the second half of the Super Bowl.  I am not a particularly ardent fan; but the spectacle was as all consuming here as on the mainland.  With every significant play the resort echoed with huzzahs and yippees with a background note of sighs and moans. 

In the end I perceived a clear majority approving of the final result.  This may, in part, be explained by the presence of many guests from the mid-west who are cavorting at the resort this week under the banner of some group called "Howards Feeds."  This outfit, I presume, to be engaged in the business of producing and/or distributing livestock feed in the heartland.  Although it is possible I have got this entirely wrong and and Howards Feeds represents the bride and groom family names of the couple who were joined in holy matrimony by the adult pool and tiki lounge on Sunday evening. 

But I digress. 

I had a very decent supper on Sunday at a oceanfront joint just down the beach.  Dining alfresco in February is always a serious morale booster.  Yesterday was a pool day...got familiar with the resort and read by the pool.  The resort is quite nice with multiple pools, faux lagoons, waterfalls and the like.  And a fair expanse of real beach on the Pacific with sufficient surf to amuse the children and frighten the parents.

The main lagoon features a small flock of pink flamingos, a large, loud, and obnoxious parrot and a host of various types of small birds on the mooch for crumbs from the outdoor dining facilities.  There are many pools - some interconnected - and a water slide of decent drop and length.  I would put the average age of the adult guest at 40 with many children in the toddler and pre-teen age groups. 

My room is reasonably spacious and decently appointed.  It has a "terrace" view which is to say it overlooks the parking lot.  I have committed additional coin to move to an ocean view on Friday. 

It is my intention to go into Lahaina today; but it was also my intention to go into Lahaina yesterday so we shall see...  I am not a sunbathing devotee; but I did find yesterday's activities (or lack thereof) entirely satisfactory.

I leave you with a few pics from the hotel grounds:

 The flamingos seem perfectly at ease

Poolside

Ker-

Splash!

Lots of Koi

No comments: