Thursday, February 10, 2011

Right Ho, Jeeves!

Well...another warm and sunny morning.  Imagine that.

My tropical mental health break continues at a delightfully languid pace.  I've wandered into Lahaina the past couple of mornings - after a decent workout in the gym - and enjoyed a meal and strolling along Front Street.  Then, tuckered out from the exertion, I have beached myself by the pool for some reading and relaxation.  Followed by cocktails and supper of course.  I may rally for more vigorous activities in the next day or so...or then again I may not.

While in Portland I made a sortie to Powell's Books for appropriate vacation reading material.  Mr. Milnes has been urging me to have a go at some serious reading on the basis of our ongoing discussion of materialism versus spiritualism.  I dutifully marched-up to the extensive Philosophy section; but after a half hour or so of thumbing through the musty tomes I found myself somewhat groggy. I repaired to the coffee shop for a double latte.  Sorry, Tim - but it was a good faith effort.

Upon reviving, I finally selected an assortment of books appropriate for the vacation at hand.  I have since completed the New York Times bestseller "You Suck" by Christopher Moore - a mildly comedic yarn about two young vampires in love in San Francisco.  Not up to Carl Hiaasen's standards.

I then moved upscale to a couple of P.G. Wodehouse stories in the Wooster and Jeeves series "Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves" and "Right Ho, Jeeves" - the following from the front jacket of the latter.

Gussie Fink-Nottle's knowledge of the common newt is unparalleled.  Drop him in a pond of newts and his behaviour will be exemplary, but introduce him to a girls and watch him turn pink, yammer, and suddenly stampede for the wide open spaces.  Even with Madeline Bassett, who feels that the stars are God's daisy chain, his tongue is tied in reef-knots.  And his chum Tuppy Glossop isn't getting on much better with Madeline's delectable friend, Angela.

With so many broken hearts lying about him, Bertie Wooster can't sit idly by.  The happiness of a pal - two pals, in fact - is at stake.  But somehow Bertie's best-laid plans land everyone in the soup, and so it's just as well that Jeeves is ever at hand to apply his bulging brains to the problems of young love.

Yesterday, I disposed of the last of Jeeves and am now 100 pages into "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck, a classic that I somehow overlooked in high school.  My English teacher, Mr. Farrell, would be proud...

I seem to be getting the hang of this beach thing...

Well, time for a workout and then to the pool.  I leave you with a couple of pics from paradise.

The massive and old banyan tree near the harbor in Lahaina

All you would ever want to know about said tree - if you can make it out through the bird droppings

Just another day in paradise at Kanaapali

No comments: