Sunday, February 13, 2011

There's a Fine Line Between Terror and Fun

Big time fun (and not a little trepidation) on the vacation front yesterday.

Signed-up for the four-hour snorkeling and whale watching cruise that departs from right in front of the hotel.  It was a beautiful day and we motored on down the coast 10 miles or so to a sheltered cove that sports a fine reef for diving and snorkeling.

Those of you who know me well are aware of my congenital failure as a swimmer.  Several years ago I attempted to rectify this defect by taking lessons at the pool in Juneau.  It was not a raging success.  After six lessons Elmo had learned how to float - sort of - while the five to ten year olds in my class had substantially mastered the black art and were cavorting in the water like demented dolphins.  At that point I decided to move on to other endeavors.

So it was with some trepidation yesterday that I prepared to go snorkeling in the mighty Pacific.

It was obvious to me from the outset that I would be outclassed by all my shipmates.  Indeed, when Dave, the snorkel-master, inquired if anyone needed any instruction there was only one hand raised - mine.

"So you need a little refresher?" Dave inquired.

"What's this for?"  I replied, holding up my snorkel and mask.  "I can't swim."

I was assured that being unable to swim was absolutely no bar to enjoying the wonders of the reef.  The water was very salty aiding buoyancy, I would have a flotation ring around my waist, and I would have a boogie board to thrust out in front of myself thereby assuring absolutely perfect snorkeling form.

"You'll be just fine," Dave assured me.

"You bet, Dave!" I croaked.

As it turned out, Dave was more-or-less correct.  I did not instantly crash dive to a watery grave.  Instead, I bobbed along on the surface, furiously kicking-up a wake to rival that of a nuclear aircraft carrier, and surging forward at a stately pace of a quarter of a knot or so.

And lo and behold, there were critters under the water.  Fish of all colors.  And sea turtles - having their shells cleaned by schools of fish.  Amazing.

After a half-hour or so of snorkeling fun, I thrashed my way back to the boat and although I was certainly not the last person back on board I was not the first either.  I arrived just in time for the opening of the bar - for some reason alcoholic beverages are not provided BEFORE snorkeling - the only ship's policy that I question...

A fair lunch was provided and then we motored out into the middle of Lahaina Roads in search of humpback whales which we quickly found.  Lots of tail pounding and fluke slapping.  Whales breaching in the mid-distance - unfortunately not close enough for real good pics.  Nothing particularly dramatic for me, of course, but the majority of the ship's company were duly thrilled.

We then continued back to Kaanapali where the surf had risen signifcantly.  After several aborted attempts to put the bows of the catamaran on the beach we backed-off and were run ashore by zodiak in groups of six.  And run ashore is exactly the right phrase as illustrated in the following video.


I have a number of still pics from this adventure as well.  But the wifi here is quite slow so I will save them for another post.

Aloha!

No comments: