Saturday, October 8, 2011

Busy Beyond Belief

Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle - I'm tired - feel like I'm back at work.

On the other hand, unlike regular work (at least of the kind to which I was previously accustomed) this brand of labor brings immediate satisfaction.  I am almost completely unpacked and I am now typing from my very recently painted office.  Indeed, the entire master suite is now a beautiful green - Dutch Boy Spearmint Green to be exact. 

I had not painted a room in over ten years.  Used to be pretty good at it; still am.  It just takes longer and is more painful.  I am not as limber as I once was and the various painting poses are now a tad awkward.  And painting - like most everything else - takes longer than it once did.  But I just got back from supper and today's paint is now dry and it does look fabulous - if I do say so myself.  There are a few spots that need a touch-up and the room will probably probably require four hours or so to put it back together - but I am quite pleased.

The urgency of the painting is a function of the arrival of my new King Size Temperpedic adjustable bed on Tuesday.  It will be a "sleigh" bed and the headboard weighs about 200 lbs.  I assume the footboard hits the scales at about half that; but in any event I want everything prepared for its arrival.  The bed may not move for a few years...

In other news, Amanda will arrive on October 25th.  She's applying for lots of jobs and I have no doubt she will be gainfully employed shortly upon her arrival.  I am REALLY looking forward to having her as a house mate.  I wonder how she will feel about her purple bedroom?  It is possible that more painting is in my future... 

I have also booked a guest for a couple of months who will be acting in a production at Perseverance Theater later this fall.  Enrique previously stayed with my friend, Joan, and I am delighted to continue the tradition.  Enrique will be accompanied by his best pal, Nikki, a little herder dog who accompanied me, Joan, and her hound, Maddy, on a number of walks this past year.  Nikki will be giving my new abode a test drive as far as doggy compatibility in concerned.  Enrique is very diligent about his dog walking; but it is possible Uncle Elmo may be able to do some dog walking too...  Hah!

Finally, a couple of pics of a Magpie that Alison and I stumbled across on the Fish Creek Trail early last week.  He/she was a very cooperative subject.

Oddly enough - Magpies are more common in Juneau in the fall and winter

A very handsome and cooperative specimen

And oh, yeah, I am now the owner of a new iPhone.  So...for those of you who lamented my inability to be a text buddy - that issue is now resolved. 

So there you have it!  Carry on kids....

No comments: