Wednesday, September 24, 2008

City Lights

I had a very good supper last night at the India House Bistro on Market Street here in the bowels of Ballard. Mulligatawny soup and lamb tikka masala. It's the second time I've dined at the place and I highly recommend it - the bistro is in all the local and regional Best Places books and other dining guides.

After supper I wandered up-and-down Market Street for an hour or so people watching and generally soaking-up the ambience of the city. I like the city lights and sounds - I don't think I want to be a city dweller yet (maybe in 15 or 20 years) - but I sure want ACCESS to the city on a regular basis. On the other hand, the city sounds of 1 AM - a pack of young folks on their way home after some serious clubbing - was not particularly appreciated just outside my bedroom window. Although I certainly do not begrudge them the diversions of youth.

Today I'm going to go have a workout at the Ballard Health Club and then run some errands for Lady Marian. And tonight it's supper at the Palisades. And tomorrow - back to the rain forrest.

In other news, it seems that the polls have taken a decided turn in Mr. Obama's direction the past few days. The economic meltdown chicken has apprently come to roost at the Republican door - as it well should...

And the bloom is off the Palin rose. Governor Palin remains in "political protective custody" as the New York Times puts it...relative to the domestic press...although she was sent to meet and greet various foreign dignataries at the United Nations. I find the picture of the Governor and Afghan President Harmid Karzai particularly amusing. What would she possibly say to him? "How about them Taliban!" "Have you ever butchered a moose, Hamid?"

Quote for the day:

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
H. L. Mencken

No comments: