Saturday, September 13, 2008

Life in the City

Greetings from Portland Oregon. I've had a busy couple of days. I drove to Portland from Corvallis on Wednesday - played a round of golf at Trysting Tree before the drive. I played with three retirees from OSU, a couple of professors and the former Dean of Students. They were great company. I could very easily get accustomed to a regular tee time with a crew of old lefties. They were, at best, highly skeptical of wannabe VP Palin.

I got to the city around 5 PM, checked into the Vintage Plaza Hotel (which is very satisfactory although I miss the Great Room at the Benson), and then went to the Portland City Grill with Amanda and Matthew for a great supper with a spectacular view. The restaurant is located on the 30th floor of a bank right downtown.

Thursday was fairly low-key. I collected Doug and Alison at the airport in mid-afternoon and we went to Paley's Place with Arthur and Sher Snowden for supper. It's a great restaurant.

Yesterday Doug, Alison, Leah, Chris, Matthew and I played 18 holes at the Glendevere Golf Course. It was a S-L-O-W round - we teed-off at 11:15 AM and didn't finish until almost 4:30 PM. Everyone played fairly well, however, so it was quite fun. Another beautiful sunny and warm day.

Last night the gals, their pals, and I went to Lovely Hula Hands in the Mississippi District for supper. We dined al fresco under the moon and stars - something this Juneau boy can never get enough of - and the food and company were superb.

It's now Saturday morning and I will hang-out waiting from Leah and Amanda to give me a call. It's shopping day! Nordy's is on the agenda and I'm sure other fashion emporiums as well. Tonight Doug, Alison, and I will go over to Jane's for cocktails and then out to a local Italian joint in Sellwood. We will have Special Guest Appearances by Jim Larson and Terry Harrigan. Should be big time fun!

Hmmm. It appears that I cannot upload any pics at the moment...don't know if it's a problem with the Google site or the connection here at the hotel. I will try again later; but I may just have to wait until I'm at another location.

Next post: dateline Redmond, Oregon and the Juneau Golf Club Fall 2008 Spectacular.

No comments: