Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ellie Mae, Jethro, and The Five Blessings

Well, it sounds like the latest installment of the Wasilla Hillbillies was a smash hit last night - at least for the total immersionist crowd. I still can't believe it. I missed the speech myself; but it sounds like there was enough red meat for the right wing to satisfy even the most rabid among the assembled delegates. Sigh...

But...it's time to set the politics aside for a bit and concentrate on the here and now - having fun on vacation.

Yesterday was a long day; but everything went as planned. I was a little worried about my bags. After I checked-in I had to go stand in a SECOND line to deposit my oversized golf bag. I was standing behind a guy with a labrador and while the owner fiddled with the kennel I was petting the hound. The pup was whining and I tried to reassure him that everything would be OK, that he had nothing to worry about and, besides, they treated us ALL like dogs. This comment elicited a stony stare from the Alaska Airlines functionary and I was sure my golf clubs were headed for Orange County; but lo and behold they showed up at PDX on schedule and apparently intact.

The drive from Portland to Walla Walla (or as Dave Gray calls it - the Double Walla) was quite fun. It was sunny and the drive through the Columbia Gorge was very nice. I got into Walla Walla around 6 PM and went to a wine bar for a couple of glasses of local libation and then had a decent meal at an Italian joint.

There are LOTS of hole-in-the-wall tasting rooms on the main drag here; but they were all closed by the time I arrived. The dining scene appears to be fairly limited however. I believe there are two golf courses. In another decade this place might be a real destination; but today I think a 15 hour stop-over is about right.

Right now I'm going to hit the shower and then hit the road. It should be about a 5 1/2 hour drive to McCall, Idaho via Lewiston. I was talking to a couple in the coffee shop this morning and it sounds like the road is pretty winding but the scenery should be quite nice.

I don't know if I'll have a computer connection in McCall...so there may be no more posting until Boise.

TallyHo!

No comments: