Sunday, September 7, 2008

Greetings from 'Tater Town

Hey kids! Greetings from Boise, Idaho. I've been having a great time catching-up with my dear friend, Pat Williams, with whom I worked at the Division of Legislative Finance so many years ago. We spent yesterday afternoon going through the Official Division Ho Ho File. I got a few gems I will share with you at a future date. Although much of the material is dated...political stuff that was SOOOOOOOOOO terribly important 25-years ago; but is now deservedly forgotten.



Pat says "Howdy, Pilgrim. C'mon in and set down a spell."



Pat has a lovely older home in the older part of town.*

My drive to Boise was uneventful but fun for a Juneau guy in need of a serious road-fix. The trip from Double Walla to McCall was fields of amber grain until you get passed Lewiston, then more farmland on a plateau, and finally beautiful evergreen (mostly pine) forest in the hills as you approach McCall. I checked-in at a Super 8 in McCall (called the Super 8 LODGE), had a few cocktails, a non-descript supper, and then played a round of golf at a nice course the next morning before proceeding on to Boise. McCall is pretty nice - but you need to stay at least two nights to get lodgings at any of the resorts or condos - and I would NOT recommend the Super 8 - whether they call it a lodge or not.


Welcome to McCall Idaho. Locals used to own this property. They don't anymore... Outta my price range too...but a nice place to visit.

The drive to Boise was also very scenic. You drive along several rivers on the way down from Lewiston - the Salmon River being the largest. Hells Canyon on the river is pretty cool.


The house that tater-tots built. The Simplot mansion of Ore-Ida potatoes fame.

It is BAH LOON! They cruise over Pat's house in the morning. She actually had one crash-land in her cul-de-sac and one bump her house. They occasionally land in the big soccer field next door.


Yesterday we did the Boise sightseeing gig and went out into the country to visit Pat's daughter, Michelle, and her family. The weather here is great; but July and August would be too toasty for my taste.

Pat, her daughter Michelle, and family.


Pat has got doting grandma down pretty good for Danielle. Danielle's pal is Juneau (or Juno).

Tomorrow I'm off to Corvallis by way of Bend. I may spend the night in Bend if I'm pooped by the time I get there. It should be about a 9 1/2 drive in total (it would actually be quicker to take I-84 all the way to Portland and then I-5 south to Corvallis; but I still haven't got my driving Jones satisfied so will take the more scenic route on the state highways.

More later from Bend or Corvallis assuming I have access to the internet...

*This is actually the first house ever built in Boise - in the 1840's as I recall. Boise was on the Oregon Trail.

No comments: