Monday, September 22, 2008

Greetings from the Bowels of Ballard

Ah, Tully's Coffee! I really like this place. Lots of the same faces - although a couple of the regulars appear to be MIA today. I broke new ground this morning by taking breakfast at Vera's, a local diner. Standard breakfast fare in a vaguely seedy atmosphere; just what the doctor ordered - literally - as after 10 AM I am on a clear liquid diet for the remainder of the day.

Yesterday's drive from Redmond to Portland was quite nice. We drove to The Dalles and then took I-84 to PDX. Some fuckery at the airport where I drove around in circles for a half-hour or so looking for a bloody gas station. Although I can't really say that getting lost bothered me all that much since we had lots of time to catch the flight. When I turned the car in, the guy told me I had put over 2400 miles on the rig in the past 18 days. Not bad since a week of that time was more-or-less sedentary car-wise in Redmond.

Apparently the flight to Seattle last evening was over booked. I volunteered to go an hour later for a free ticket; but unfortunately not everyone showed-up for the flight and I had to board. Better luck next time.

Fun Fact: We had a great brunch at a French bistro in The Dalles. They were pouring wine from a local winery, Errin Ridge, I believe. "Tantrum Red" is the vintner's house red and "Velvet Ass Rose' " was also on the wine list. I just love those names.

Got to the Hotel Harrigan around 8 PM and had a nice chat with Marian who seems to be doing well. Had a nice visit again this morning and now I'm going to go collect my prescription associated with tomorrow's festivities and then head to downtown for a little shopping. I need to buy some pants, a couple of long-sleeved shirts, and maybe a GPS navigator for my upcoming road trip back East. And I'm in the market for a biography of Thomas Jefferson.

So there you have it. Monday in Seattle.

Assuming I'm feeling well enough, I'll probably mosey down to the coffee house tomorrow afternoon and do a blog entry- I check-in at Virginia Mason at 7:15 AM and should be discharged by noon. I suspect I'll be hungry.

No comments: