Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Thank You for My Daughters

I write this as Doug and I watch the election returns...the West Coast polls just closed and within seconds BARACK OBAMA WAS DECLARED THE WINNER OF THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE.

I am overcome.

John McCain is now giving his concession speech. He just acknowledged Sarah...but does not seem inclined to let her near the microphone.

My daughters deserve all the credit for this great day...and the millions of like-minded young people that are their cohort. The most foul and obnoxious aspects of our politics, the cultural wars of the past two decades or so and, perhaps, even the racial divide that has been a central feature of our Republic from the outset, may now be put substantially to rest - at least in the context of the national political discourse.

The central tenets of the Republican Party electoral strategy since Richard Nixon- the politics of divide and rule - the Silent Majority, the evangelical awakening and all the rest of it - just doesn't fly with my daughters' generation. Support for the stifling of reproductive choice, civil rights for gays, playing on the fear of racial and ethnic minorities - just didn't work this time around.

Here comes Barack...

Yes we can!

1 comment:

amandarose said...

I was overcome too! We had a get together at Leah's while she is out of town and all of us were stunned. It didn't hit me until much later in the night what had actually happened. I cried like a baby on the couch! I'm glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time on your trip!