Friday, November 28, 2008

Shop 'til you Drop

If you ever needed a reason NOT to stand in line at Wal Mart for the Day After Thanksgiving Sale - here's a pretty good one:

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnightstock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

On the other hand, it's precisely this kind of shopping enthusiasm that merchants are praying for this holiday season...

I had a very pleasant Thanksgiving. I ate too much food...but that's kinda obligatory as I understand it. I LOVE turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Particularly my mom's.

My sister cooked the bird yesterday...and it was entirely satisfactory...she was trained by the master. As mom was trained by Grandma Newman. Don't know where grandma picked it up...don't think her mom would have cooked turkey in the Old Country... Hmmm. A puzzler.

The elders were quite chipper yesterday - even dad rallied and got dressed for the first time in a few days. I was over for morning coffee and he was positively chirpy.

Coffee most mornings usually finds all four of us - mom, dad, sister, and I - sitting around the kitchen table. I am attempting to learn the art of participating in three conversations simultaneously. Both mom and dad are hard of hearing and frequently attempt to converse with me at the same time - not recognizing the other has also initiated conversation. And my sister has developed the habit of simply butting-in while others are talking.

I can handle two conversations at once with some dexterity - but three is proving a challenge. And of course I have to SHOUT for the elders to hear me. At times it is quite amusing.

Well, I'm off...the Club was closed yesterday so will have to workout twice today. Hah. And I may put-up my Christmas tree.

No comments: