Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Whistlin' Dixie

Farewell to the low country of Dixie. Blew out of Charleston, South Carolina around Noon today and pulled-off I-95 in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina as the sun went down. I am presently holed-up in a Hampton Inn and just had a filling, yet unsatisfying, meal at the local Ruby Tuesday's establishment.

However I did get to spend an hour or so socializing with several of the locals - there was a table of 30-40-something gals having a birthday social at a table and I bought them a round of drinks and got an invite to visit in return. They were true southern gals from hereabouts - two work in the local community mental health center and the other two for a local exterminator. They are longtime friends. I suspect there is plenty of work in both fields in these parts.

They wanted to talk about Sarah Palin...which is becoming tedious for me. But I gave them the full Alaskana rap. They seemed appreciative and we parted the best of friends. Tomorrow two of them will be working with the mentally ill and two of them will be exterminating bugs - and I'm headed back to Juneau. Would be willing to switch places with any of them.

I've got a ton of pictures and will try to get serious about photoshopping them upon my return to the Motherland. Will post a blog on Friday in any event.

TallyHo!

No comments: