Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cute Animal Pictures

How many pics of animals doing cutesy things do you get every week? I get plenty. I have even contributed to the glut myself from time-to-time. And don't get me wrong, I'm as big a sucker for cute furry critters as anyone.

But for a completely new perspective on our animal pals, check-out my new favourite website "Fuck you, Penguin (A Blog Where I Tell Cute Animals What's What)" a link to which Dougie thoughtfully provided me a couple of days ago. I am now checking it every morning even before I get my first cup of coffee. http://fuckyoupenguin.blogspot.com/


It remains clear and cold here in Juneau. All of the precipitation is going onshore in the Great Northwest. Seattle schools are closed today. Corvallis schools were closed on Monday. People abandoning their cars on freeways. CHAOS! I only wish I was present for the carnage. I'd sit in a cozy coffeeshop all morning on the corner of a busy intersection and just enjoy the show.

Today is going to be shopping and wrapping day. I need to get a few things downtown and will then repair to my lair to wrap presents. This is a highly ritualized process similar to tree trimming insofar as it involves a good bottle of wine and the singing of Christmas tunes.

In other news, I trust you all caught Dubya's Iraq Victory Tour - particularly the part where the Iraqi journalist heaved his shoes at our esteemed leader. I loved it. It was so delightfully symbolic on so many levels - pretty much summed up the Bush Administration's foreign policy legacy in my mind. Well, in an equally irony soaked sequel, it turns out that after the offending journalist was nabbed by the Iraqi security guys, they took him into the backroom for a little "enhanced" questioning of the Dick Cheney approved variety.

According to the New York Times "Mr Zadari faces up to seven years in prison if he is charged with and convicted of offending the head of a foreign state." The Times today also reports dozens of arrests of Iraqi security forces - including at least one general officer - for allegedly plotting a coup. Good job George, I see democracy has now taken root in Iraq just as you promised. Mission accomplished!

My sister, Linda in front of our tree on 11th Street. Probably about 1960 or so.

No comments: