Tuesday, December 23, 2008

White Christmas

Light snow is gently falling on Alaska's Capital this morning with 3-6 inches expected by tomorrow morning. So we should have a lovely white Christmas this year. Ho! Ho! Ho!

I did the last of my shopping yesterday and finished wrapping all the presents. So, I'm READY for Santa.

Yesterday I also mixed up some mincemeat for a pie. I've never made mincemeat before. Black raisins, golden raisins, currants, apples, brown sugar, a few spices, and SUET. Yes, more suet. And then you douse the whole works with brandy and let it marinate for a few days. I'll make the pie Christmas day.

These suet recipes have been around for a few centuries I expect. I'm sure Queen Victoria enjoyed her plum pudd. And Henry VIII looks like a mincemeat kind of guy to me. Wonder if these recipes came over to England with the Vikings? Suet strikes me as something my cousins might have thought-up.

Today I need to do some grocery shopping to allow me to complete my remaining cooking assignments for Christmas Eve and Christmas suppers. Then perhaps a walk in the snow...

Dad and Linda at Grandma Newman's - I'm guessing this is somewhere between 1950-1952. I believe the cat was named Cocoa.


And Mom at Grandma's...guessing the same year as Linda and Dad, above.



Technically, this is NOT a Christmas picture; but I was sure a cute little dickens in my snow gear.

No comments: