Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Most Wonderful Day

Finally! A dry day...with some sun. I did the usual elder gig this morning, had my normal workout, visited the elders again, spoke to Amanda who was in a quite jovial mood, and THEN...I GOT TO TAKE A WALK OUTDOORS!!

It was a most amazing thing. Filtered sunshine, a lot of high clouds, about 30 degrees, no wind - HEAVEN. I walked the dike trail by the airport. Lots of folks with hounds enjoying the day. Chatted with all of them - two-legged and four-legged - everyone was in high spirits.

Having said all that...I still need to kick it up the proverbial notch for the holidays. I've been suffering from whatever you might call the photoshop equivalent of writer's block - just can't seem to get my photo projects the way I want them. AAARRRGGGHH! I have a very strong suspicion that I just don't have much talent. I think I need some professional training. Although, if my golf game is anything to go by, the professional help may not help all that much.

On the other hand...so what? Hah!

I put up my tree yesterday...a day long ritual that I always enjoy very much. The tree in question is an artifact of the early 1990's - it's actually made in America - although I suspect the same cannot be said for most of the decorations.

Assemblage is as follows. First, open a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Second, fire up the iPod Holiday ensemble. Third, drag the bloody tree in its box from the closet to the front room. This doesn't sound like much of a challenge; except for those of you who know the dimensions of my apartment. Then you curse the fact that you have, once again, somehow misplaced the document that will easily allow you to attach the color-coded branches in ascending order.

Whew! You've once again assembled the tree in a fashion that most nearly allows the poor thing to resemble an actual tree. And then you decorate said tree with lights and baubles...singing Christmas Classics like Louis Armstrong's "Christmas Night in Harlem" at the top of your voice with the hope that the landlord, landlady, and landkids can't hear you. Then you sit at your dining room table, finish the Pinot, and think about the ghosts of Christmas past. Bittersweet yes. But still sweet.

I truly love the holidays!

People all feelin' mighty good
In that good old neighborhood
Let it now be understood
It's Christmas night in Harlem

C'mon now every Jane and Joe
Meet your sweet b'neath the mistletoe
With a kiss and a hi-de-ho
It's Christmas night in Harlem

No comments: