Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to my sister, Linda, who turns 65 today. Medicare eligible. YIKES!

As previously noted, my sister graduated from high school the same year I entered kindergarten. We had quite different upbringings in many respects. She spent her early years living on 4th Street and her summers as a child out on the boat with my folks commercial fishing. And she remembers the family cabin out on Lena Loop.

I've always envied her for her experiences on the boat and at the cabin. On the other hand, my folks were much more affluent when I was growing-up and I was spoiled rotten whereas she had a much more frugal childhood. When she was a teenager mom would panic if she thought Linda was hanging out at Percy's soda fountain. When I was a teenager...well, never mind....

This morning I'm going to make Linda a lemon birthday cake - per her request. And I am furnishing filets for supper. While having your birthday on New Years Eve may sound attractive at first blush; I know for a fact it has resulted over the years in serious short-changing in the gift department given the proximity to Christmas.


Sister Linda and Brother Elmer

Dad, Linda, and Mom in front of the house on 4th Street.

Linda on the bow of the Frederick F - one of dad's trollers in the late 40's - early 50's.


No comments: