Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lou, Lou, My Old Buddy Lou

Adios to Lou Dobbs who has fouled the airwaves on CNN the past few years with his xenophobic Latino bashing and loud-mouthed populist demagoguery - putting me in a black mood on more afternoons than I care to recall as I marched on the treadmill at the Club in mid-afternoon. I generally like to watch the news when I'm marching; but have forsaken CNN in favor of the Food Network as the TV monitor of choice whenever Lou's mug is on screen.

Lou has apparently been playing footsie with Fox News (gee, what a surprise) and has some sort of radio gig planned. Perhaps he can co-anchor a program with a certain former Alaskan Governor we all know and love...

It is one butt-ugly day in Juneau. Rain and serious wind. Gusts to 85 mph at Eaglecrest and a gust of 113 mph on Sheep Mountain. Lovely. The extended forecast calls for mixed rain and snow tonight, then more rain, and possibly some snow early next week. And it's pretty dark by 3:30 PM.

In other news, elder care continues pretty much as previously described. We had a little 911 drill on Tuesday when mom had an allergic reaction to one of her medications. Her eyes got puffy and swollen and her throat began to constrict so it was off to the ER via ambulance. This was the first time she had been in an ambulance and I think she was a little disappointed they didn't use the siren... The medics and ER doc pumped her full on anti-histamines and steroids and she improved rapidly.

Yesterday I took her to her first physical therapy appointment. It went well. The therapist seemed to think that she was NOT all that far behind where she should be at this stage of the proceedings. This morning I get to be the therapist which will be interesting, I'm sure.

Last night I was paroled long enough to enjoy pizza with Joan Kasson at the Island pub. Adult company between the ages of 18 and 65 was a refreshing change.

Well, off to the salt mine...

No comments: