Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Wind Blew and the Shit Flew

YIKES! A serious shit storm in Juneau last night. Southeast wind and heavy rain caused tree falls, mudslides, and the traditional power outage. Power was out at my place for almost three hours from around 6 AM until shortly after 9 AM. I coped in the most sensible manner I could think of - I stayed in bed.

Two elderly ladies who live down the street from my folks and who are participants in my informal meals on wheels program had a tree fall on their trailer about 4 AM. Fortunately they were not injured and the tree removal guy was there early this morning and a general contractor was working on the crumpled roof before noon. They did not have to move out. This evening I am taking them a dozen oatmeal scotchies for consolation...

Downtown was apparently a mess today with several slides on Gastineau Avenue which also closed South Franklin. One house damaged. A number evacuated. Nobody hurt.

Dad recalls a very serious slide in the same area back in the 30's. He was working for the AJ Mine and had gone to a movie. They paged AJ employees during the movie to get to their equipment to help dig out houses - the slide came all the way down to the beach where the Juneau Cold Storage used to be. That whole hillside in unstable. You can tell where the old slides were by looking at the vegetation.

As for the immediate climatological future...it's snowing at the moment and the prediction is for rain, snow and mixed rain and snow for the foreseeable future. And did I mention dark?

Later kids.

No comments: