Monday, November 9, 2009

Woke Up, Fell out of Bed, Dragged a Comb Across My Head...

A day in the life...

Got up around 7 AM. Did my morning routine and headed over to the elders around 8 AM. Mom had an appointment at the doctors at 9 AM - her 10 day post operative check-up. While she and Linda were getting her organized I got dad situated - weigh him, poke him to check his blood sugar, and get him into the living room.

The appointment was fine. Doctor Schwarting is a little concerned with all the bruising; but no bleeding or sign of infection. We jettisoned the leg immobilizer - good riddance to about three pounds of gear.

Back to the house and time to give dad a sponge bath and change his urostomy pouch. Went fine...a minimal amount of grousing. He doesn't think he can get dirty because he "doesn't do anything."

Clean-up the bathroom and pass all the laundry on to Linda for processing. Put ice in mom's "arctic pack" to keep the swelling down on her knee.

Off to the club with a stop to check the folks' mail. A good workout. A message from mom when I'm finished, "Please pick up the scrip at the doctors and take it to the Walmary Pharmacy." Done. A nice chat with Ross Soboloef in the Walmart parking lot - hadn't seem him in a year or so.

Off to Fred Meyers for grocery shopping. Shitty produce. They must not have anything from this week's barge yet. The asparagus was as woody as a raspberry cane.

Drop a few groceries off at my place and pick-up a few things I need for cooking supper at the elders. Back to the elders.

Cook dinner - Asparagus with mustard vinaigrette, peas, red potatoes, Chicken Kiev, and fresh deer heart sauteed in butter with garlic and shallot. Deer heart courtesy of Mr. Dave Gray - and dad and I really enjoyed it.

Wash dishes.

Just got home at 7 PM and in an hour I'll head back to poke dad again and then put him to bed around 9 PM. I think mom will be able to sleep in her bed tonight now that she's rid of the major appliance.

Priority for tomorrow: Arrange for physical therapy. The Hospice and Homecare folks can't get here until the 19th and that's way too long a delay. She needs to see someone this week. I'm guessing that will mean more trips to the clinic.

Kinda tiring. But I feel that I'm actually being useful - which makes it A-OK!

No comments: