Saturday, July 17, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Well, an eventful couple of days.  Particularly yesterday which, all things considered, I could have done without.  And I don't believe I am alone in those sentiments.

Just before setting sail for Elderburg to give dad his weekly scrubbing, I got a call from poor Amanda who was very upset that she had just learned that the job offer at Mt. Edgecumbe had been withdrawn due to a classic bureaucratic/personnel kerfuffle.  Some officious personnel functionary in the Dept. of Administration had concluded that not all of her work experience was relevant to the job for which she had applied and therefore she did not meet the minimum qualifications for the position.  Any rational person would think that the hiring manager would be in a better position to evaluate relevant experience - but anyone who has worked for the State of Alaska knows better.  The entire system should be taken out behind the barn and killed with an axe.

Still, it appears that the Mt. Edgecumbe folks want her...so now they will go back to the drawing board to find a clever way to reclassify the position.  In the end, I remain optimistic that justice will prevail.  But only time will tell and she will no doubt have to reapply and jump through all the same hoops all over again.  Amanda is feeling pretty blue...  Hang in there dear!

I then zipped over to the elders just in time to take a call from the doc's office suggesting that I should take dad over to the ER to get an ultrasound of his legs.  A home care nurse had visited the day before and was concerned that it was likely he had a blood clot or clots in his legs.  Recently he has had some tingling sensations in his left hand and left side of his face which increased the nurse's concern.  No surprise with the recommendation.

However I was somewhat surprised that dad consented to make the journey.  OK...off to the ER...not an easy trip given dad's lack of mobility; but the transport went satisfactorily.  Then six hours of classic ER waiting around.  We had blood drawn, chest X-rays and an ultrasound.  The results were largely inconclusive.  He has an irregular heartbeat...but no more irregular than a year ago.  He has clots in his legs...but they're all old and therefore more "stable" than a new clot.  The only news was that he also has a very low platelet count in his blood; but there are no further non-invasive tests that can be done and his treatment options for most anything they might find would be limited in any event.  So....got back to the house around 7 PM.

We will consult with his primary care doc next week.  Dad vowed he will never set foot in the ER again.  Perhaps. 

The only mildly amusing episode of the day was when I overheard one of the two attractive 30 something nurses who had been assisting us say that the two Elmers were "cute."  How nice.  My toothless 95 year old dad and I are regarded as cute - in the same sense, no doubt, that something is cute on America's Funniest Home Videos or an orphaned animal is cute.  Still, I suppose I should be flattered.

For the record, however, I would like to note that I thought the nurses were also cute and my definition of the term still includes at least a whiff of animal lust - however qualified.  So there you have it.

The only redeeming feature of the day was a wonderful supper of "angry pasta" courtesy of Alison.  I made a pig of myself.

This morning I was back at the elders to give dad a bath when I was reminded that today is the folk's 65th wedding anniversary.  I knew that earlier in the week...but had forgotten after the excitement of the previous 24 hours. Mom suggested steak for supper and while I was chatting-it-up with dad he asked me to get mom flowers which I thought was pretty special - maybe some "cute" had rubbed-off on the ol' coot from the day before.

Mom was thrilled to get the flowers and gave the ol' boy a kiss.  Also cute.  Auntie came out for supper and we had a nice get together.

I leave you with the folks wedding picture from 65 years ago today


Evelyn Klump and Elmer Lindstrom tie the knot.  Al Bloomquist was dad's best man.  I need to be reminded of the name of mom's girlfriend.

For their honeymoon they went out to the cabin on Lena Point.  Fished most of the daylight hours.  I'm sure dad thought it was very romantic...  Mom...not so much me thinks.  Still, a marriage that lasts 65 years is not to be sneezed-at... 

2 comments:

Christina Nealson said...

CUTE wedding pic, Elmer (just kidding).
Hope we can get out thar for some cute hikes soon...Christina

www.christinanealson.com

Elmer Lindstrom said...

You betcha! Tomorrow is lawn day...need to mow Auntie's and the folk's yard. The rest of the week sounds kinda damp...but my favourite trail, Perseverance, is reasonably well drained and after 54 years in this burg I know I will not melt in the rain. So - pencil in Tuesday - and if that's real ugly then Wednesday!