Wednesday, July 28, 2010

St. Elias

Well, another day in paradise.  Went out to the car this morning and the battery was as dead as a doornail.  Not surprising since I had failed to turn off the headlights.  Fortunately a cab soon turned-up at the hotel and he quickly jumped the car for a mere $15.  Off to the hospital.

St. Elias is a very nice facility.  It's an acute long-term care facility.  The only one of its kind in Alaska.  I am somewhat familiar with the place from working on licensing and reimbursement regulations in my former life as a wage-slave.  The atmosphere here is much more relaxed and comfortable than the controlled chaos of the acute care ward at Providence.  A doc makes rounds daily and they are well staffed with RNs, CNAs, Physical Therapists, Dieticians, Occupational Therapists and so forth.  Indeed it has been a steady parade of folks coming to evaluate dad today.  Meet and greet day.  Kinda like the first day of a cruise...OK...that's a stretch.

Was feeling a mite peevish last evening since I did not get my daily workout.  Had supper and went to bed.  I had a nice long workout and sauna today though and am feeling much more chipper.  Looking forward to moving into the extended stay hotel on Sunday where I will be much more comfortable and can stock some essentials like milk, cereal and ice cream.

Otherwise not much to report.  I would characterize dad's condition as essentially unchanged from yesterday.  I expect tomorrow we will start some actual rehab and I am most interested to see how he responds. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We appreciate your daily posts - they especially are a comfort to my dad who misses his friend very much. Thanks for the great job you do keeping everyone informed on how your dad is doing. Kathy