Monday, July 26, 2010

Travels

Well, slow but steady improvement with dad's health. Yesterday he had his first physical therapy which was a half-hour exercise that resulted in him sitting up. Today we did the same drill and he was even able to stand a bit...with lots of folks around for assistance. His mind is better and so is his attitude.

He certainly has a different perspective on the past few days than I do. From what he has said today I am under the impression that he's under the impression that he's been doing lots of traveling. He was in Vegas and at Buck Island. He had conversations with lots of friends and family both living and long-since deceased. Sounded like a pretty good vacation, actually.

I just met with the social worker from St. Elias - the Long-Term Acute Care Hospital that dad may be discharged to if he meets the need for the level of care they offer. I believe it to be an excellent facility.

I'm doing fine. I've managed a decent workout every day and it's a big factor in keeping me sane. Nice club just a couple of miles from the hospital.

I've made reservations at an extended stay joint starting August 1st - booked it for two weeks. It's about the same cost as the Motel 6 but has a gym, laundry facilities, high speed internet and a kitchenette in every room. I doubt if I'll be doing any cooking; but it would be nice to have a refrigerator and a few staples.

So...things are settled into a pattern that is the new normal...at least for awhile.

On the way to the hospital this morning I saw an amusing bumper sticker: WHERE AM I? AND WHY AM I IN A HANDBASKET? Hah!

Later gang.

2 comments:

plumber55 said...

Thanks for all the updates, I eat at a place called Campobello over on 601 west 36th, it's in a strip mall, but it is one of my favs in anchortown......

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Thanks cuz! Looks like I may be here for a month or so...will check it out!