Sunday, August 16, 2015

Good News/Bad News

When I bought my house back in 2011 the previous owners made clear their intention to build a small cottage on the lot immediately adjacent to my house to the southeast.  My lot and the lot they planned to build upon were once a single lot.  They carved out a small parcel from the original plot.

Sadly the couple split-up shortly after they sold to me and only now has the status of the small lot been resolved.  And the winner is Karen.

I spoke to Karen and her contractor a few weeks ago.  She hopes to put up the cottage next spring although she MAY have some site preparation done this fall.  This is distinctly a good and bad development.

On the negative side...few people want a neighbor's house within immediate view.  I am no exception.

On the positive side, I really like my soon-to-be neighbor who was an old high school chum.

On the other hand, my already windblown property will get a little more windblown with the loss of the big spruce and hemlock to my south and southeast.

On the other, other hand, the loss of those same trees will be a HUGE increase in direct sun to my garden which currently is in the shadow of the neighbor's trees for several hours in the early afternoon.

It's a close call for my interests and I certainly do not fault Karen for building.  Although I do dread the actual construction phase.

Yesterday, I took a bunch of pics to help me visualize what the change might do...and now I'm sharing them with you.

This is the view from my kitchen window.  The cedar in the foreground will go as will all the conifers behind it and to the right.

 Panning slightly to the right.  The shed will go.

The property line is about three feet in front of the shed and runs diagonally down to the Old Glacier Highway.

Gone.

My view southeast down the channel towards town will be improved...although how much depends on her house profile which should be quite low.

Took this shot at about a 45 degree angle.  You can see my roof line on the upper left.  Good riddance.

So...I may wake-up one of these mornings to the sound of chain saws.  

I think I recall she said she was planning a 1250 square foot house.  Although I don't know if that includes a garage.  The land will be really tricky given the setback requirements from the Old Glacier Highway.  Most of her property is considerably lower than my house.

In other garden news, my gladiolas are poised to be the highlight of August...depending on the weather, of course.

Hang in there!  

The impatiens are doing the happy dance around the porcupine-proofed apple tree.

No comments: