Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Break in the Weather - Finally!

Amazing! No rain for almost three days. Monday was overcast, but dry, and I think my relatives and their friends enjoyed the hike up West Glacier Trail. I don't think most of them do much hiking; but they were troopers. I was once again stunned by how rapidly the glacier is receding.

I woke-up yesterday morning and sun was shining on the mountains. I immediately hit the road to the elders for coffee and then hiked up the Dan Moller Trail. It was very nice. Most of the trail is boardwalk and the boards were, for the most part, dry. However the trail mostly winds through muskeg and you didn't want to step off the walk 'cause it was wet, wet, wet. I have a few hiking pics to post; but have been working on a scanning project so you will have to wait a few days to see them.

My scanning project involves thirty or so old photos and other memorabilia that I have borrowed from Reliable Transfer. Sadly, none of them include my dad or uncle; most of them are from the 1920's - 1940's. Once I have them all scanned I will sit down with dad and see if we can identify some folks.

Here are a couple of items from the collection you may or may not find interesting...

Ticket to the 17th Annual Fire Department Ball in 1923. All of the names of the two fire companies are on the left. Lots of familiar Juneau and Douglas names. (click on image for a larger view)


And here are some of the firemen themselves - although I do not know what year this was taken. Must be the Douglas department, the pic appears to be taken down in the area of Sandy Beach.


I have no idea where or when this was taken or who the Whim-Wham might be...


Well, I'm going to head-out for chores. I'm going to borrow Dougie's pickup for a dump run for the elders, chop some kindling, and maybe go fertilise Emilie's yard. Probably a workout and then back to the folks' for a turkey pot pie supper at 5 PM sharp.


1 comment:

Eric said...

Great old pics. I am looking forward to seeing the hiking photos. As I remain a working stiff I don't get much mountain hiking in these days.