Friday, August 29, 2008

President Palin?

I am not easily rendered speechless...

Our very own Governor, the Right Honorable Sarah Palin, will, unless McCain sobers-up in the next couple of hours, soon be the presumptive Republican nominee for Vice President of the United States of America.

As it turns out, experience in international/military affairs is not REALLY all that important - at least not for someone a heart-beat away from the Presidency.

I've got the TV tuned to MSNBC - and it's quite humorous watching the talking heads try to come-to-grips with this most interesting development. The pundits were caught completely flat-footed.

The only consensus thus far is the assumption that Palin will energize the Republican "base" - she's an evangelical - pro-life and otherwise socially conservative. Although one of the talking heads just said she was a lifelong Catholic!

The few Democrats I've heard so far seem to rapidly be moving to the position that this confirms Obama's questioning last night of Mr. McCain's own temperament and judgement. You think?

I need to mull all this over before I say any more. So...back to what I THOUGHT I would be writing about this morning when I went to bed last night...

Night before last I had a little bonfire in the driveway. I have been sticking boxes and stuff in a bedroom closet for years and took the opportunity to clean it out along with a bunch of old financial records that are no longer of any value. In the course of cleaning house, I tumbled to a handful of pictures from a hike I took with a bunch of folks in 1992.

It was a beautiful day and we took a helicopter up to the top of Heintzelman Ridge, walked the ridge, and then down into the Nugget Creek valley. It was about the most fun hike I've ever been on. So, without further ado (and so I can get back to channel surfing) here we are in 1992.


We slid down the mountain on our backsides. It was REALLY fun!


Dave Gray's daughter and friends were our out-of-town guests of honor.

Dougie, Marla Berg, and I take a little rest.


The whole crew.

No comments: