Monday, August 4, 2008

It's Official - July Sucked

Welcome to Monday, gang. I trust most of you are diligently beavering away at your respective duty stations. Heh. Heh.

A busy yet undistinguished weekend here in the rainforest. My puppy pal and I are getting on famously. He is a cutie. And he even had the good taste to sleep 8 hours straight the last two nights. The secret is plenty of exercise during the day...although for a 2 1/2 pound puppy that doesn't require all that much effort on my part. A "walk" is up and down the driveway.

The National Weather Forecast has officially confirmed what I already knew. July really sucked. Here are the official highlights:

The month started out warm with high temperatures in the low 70s, but Meteorologist Corey Van Pelt in the Juneau Forecast Office says they quickly fell below normal after the 5th when a series of wet and cold weather systems moved into Southeast Alaska and continued through the rest of the month.

The average high temperature of 58 degrees was the lowest average high for the month of July ever recorded since records began in 1943.

The overall average temperature of 53 point 3 degrees makes July 2008 the third coldest July on record. A record low temperature of 39 degrees was set on the 21st which was just above the all time record July low of 36 degrees set in 1950.

Precipitation totaled 8 point 25 inches which is 4 point 11 inches above normal. The forecaster says that makes July 2008 the second wettest July ever recorded. The greatest 24 hour rainfall was on the 18th with 1 point 90 inches which set a record for the date. Two other daily rainfall records were established. There was 1 point 55inches on the 8th and point 66 inches on the 25th.


I also have relatives in town. Three cousins and three of their friends from Arizona. The cousins are the children of my mom's aunt on her father's side. They are ranchers in the southeast of Arizona. Real cowboy country. They have cows and horses and all that cowboy stuff. My cousin, Carol, brought some ol' timey pictures of various relatives. Perhaps my bowleggedness is from my recessive cowboy gene.

My grandfather, Roscoe Klump, served in the U.S. Army in World War I. The war ended before he was shipped overseas.

My great grandmother and my great uncle, Roy, circa 1887.

Later this morning I'm going to take the relations up the West Glacier Trail and tonight it's supper at the elders. At mom's request I have made baked beans (with an apple rum crust). And on my own initiative I have made an apple and beet puree which ought to go well with mom's ham.

Great Uncle Roy again. The Old West.

The weather today is overcast. The weather guy has reneged on his previous promise of partly cloudy skies for today and tomorrow - but at least no sign of rain for a couple of days.

Stay tuned

1 comment:

Eric said...

The only real question to be asked is "why do we live here?"