Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Niece has Brass

A long bloody week.  Been pacing myself in getting dad's affairs squared away.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised for the most part. 

The Veteran's Administration  was a cake-walk.  Dialed the 1-800 number the funeral director gave me and after no more than a fifteen or so digit exercise with their automated system and a five minute wait...actually found a human being.  And a competent one, too.  No lines, no waiting.  I even got a call back from the Anchorage Regional Office the next day...

And the Social Security Administration folks were equally congenial...maybe a few minutes longer wait...but amazingly prompt and competent.  At least as good as Bank of America.  Better than GCI.  But again the proof is in the pudding.

We'll see after the first of next month....

Meanwhile my mom and I have both been cheered by the calls, emails, and other communications from well wishers.  Thank you all. And apologies to anyone to whom we have as yet failed to respond appropriately.

Finally, my niece, Eilieen Nakamura, arrived on Thursday from Everett, Washington.  This morning we did some serious re-bonding.  Hauled a bunch of firewood from where it was stacked by the fence into the woodshed.  She's a good worker.  My dad would have been impressed.  I know I was.  We have two more installments.  I look forward to the work and the company. 

No comments: