Friday, July 17, 2015

Mount Roberts Tram

I have company for a week...my house guest Hidy's mom and sister are here for a week.  Unfortunately Patty and Haly have seen nothing but rain so far...including a misty ascent of Mt. Roberts for supper last evening.  Still, I think everyone had a good time - I know I certainly enjoyed myself.

 The top of the tram is 1800 feet. Just below the fog last evening.

 Plenty of moisture in the air...  Could barely see out to the airport.

 From left to right Haly Hulbert, Hidy Hulbert and Eric Pokorny.

And add momma Patty to the mix on this one.

The tram now costs $33 for a round-trip.  YIKES!  Fortunately Hidy was able to secure passes for four. 

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of supper - I think I have only dined there once before many years ago and it was basically cafeteria food.  I was very suspicious last night but it is much improved.  The chef was hired away from the Sitka Westmark Hotel and knows how to run a real kitchen.

For appetizers we had fried calamari, fried halibut bits, crab nachos, and pelmeni  (Russian dumplings).  The pelmeni were the best, by far, although the dipping sauce was incongruously spicy.  Very tasty though.  The appetizer plates are quite large - so if you want to try any of their made in house desserts I would suggest going lighter than you might be otherwise inclined for the opening salvo.

I had seafood fettuccine for my main course with salmon, halibut, scallops and shrimp.  It was quite good.  I would not put the food at the top of the Juneau food pyramid by any means; but I would definitely give it a passing grade.  In fact, I think it might be worth buying a season tram pass next year. Supper at the tram would be great after a hike from the lodge to the top of the mountain. And since I turn 60 this year I think it would be perfectly fair to cut out the first 1800 feet of the climb - which is pretty boring anyway!

I plan to go dine there again before the season is over.

In other news I must at least mention our Governor's decision yesterday to expand Medicaid under the provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

Hip!  Hip! Hooray!  

Medicaid expansion was truly a no brainer for anyone interested in the health and welfare of the state's population but apparently an unspeakable profanity for the Republican majority in our state legislature.  Mitt Romney's 47% mentality is alive and well in the hallowed halls of the Capitol.  But what else can you expect when the Speaker of the House and the Senate President are LITERALLY on the payroll of the oil companies?  A pathetic lot...  

No comments: