Saturday, July 25, 2015

More Garden Stuff

We are on track to set a record - and not a good one - for July precipitation.  We were well above the average rainfall for the month by July 15th and although we did have a brief respite the past two days the rain is slated to return for the foreseeable future starting tomorrow.  Damn!

Nonetheless I remain upbeat about the garden for the season.  May was the driest on record and everything got off to such a great start that a lot of perennials have coasted through a wet June and a miserable July.  Not that there hasn't been plenty of collateral damage - a majority of the annuals planted at considerable expense and great expectations have turned to mush.  But as Grandma Newman used to say, "Such it is..."

To cheer myself up I began a reclamation project today.  I'm going to merge two existing raised beds by eliminating the salmon berry/Indian Rhubarb thicket that separates them.

Salmon Berries and Indian Rhubarb.  They gotta go. 

  Phase I complete. 

I began Phase II, the pick and shovel phase this afternoon.  Given my limited talents for anything other than manual labor,  Phase II is right up my alley.  It is also damn hard work.  The roots of the berries are a tangle and go a foot deep.  It will take me a few days to complete and I'm not inclined to work in the rain so I will be content if it's done by the end of the season.  And I'm watching Home Depot for a season ending sale on the bricks...

Still there are a few bright spots in the garden.

My Hollyhock Mallow is performing magnificently

 Dianthus and Hollyhock Mallow under a cherry tree.

   And my dahlias are going gangbusters (under the eaves).

And it is possible, just possible, that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to cook something with my very own apples.

 Quite a few apples in my tree...

I have absolutely no idea what kind of apples I have - but last year I had a few get reasonably ripe and I took a few bites.  They were amazingly sweet.  So...if we could get just a few more nice days...

In other news, Hidy's mom and sister left on Wednesday.  I think they enjoyed themselves the crappy weather notwithstanding.

It was Hidy's birthday yesterday.  Pursuant to her request, Eric made spaghetti and I made creme brulee.  Auntie joined us and a good time was had by all.

Life is good! 

No comments: