Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rain with Embedded Downpours

Greetings from Lyme, New Hampshire...about 15 miles north of Hanover and the campus of Dartmouth College. I arrived in Hanover last evening just as the Hanover/Yale football game ended and got caught-up in a traffic jam that seemed to consist mostly of expensive European luxury sedans driven by old white guys. Poor drivers and highly litigious. I prudently pulled over for a late lunch/early supper.

I listened to a bit of the game on the radio - Dartmouth lost. This was NOT a nationally televised game. In fact, I got the impression that the radio guy (I think this was a college-run gig) had never actually seen football played before...which made the broadcast amusing. Ivy league folks...

The drive down from Bretton Woods yesterday was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure the scenery was beautiful - but I cannot vouch for it insofar as much was hidden by rain, clouds, and fog. The forecast called for "rain with embedded downpours" and the weatherman hit the nail on the head. Even so, the Kacamangus Highway was pretty cool. Lots of colour - although I expect it is still a week or ten days short of peak.



A lull in the downpour on the Kacamangus Highway


A covered bridge

Well, today I'm going to mosey over to Woodstock, New Hamshire - a village that I have been assured by several people positively reeks of New England charm. The weather is much improved today so I hope to take pics to beat the band.

Hasta luego.

No comments: