Thursday, June 3, 2010

Caught-up

Alrighty then! A few pics from my Memorial Day hike up Perseverance and I am up-to-date.  

A pair of Harlequin Ducks on Gold Creek

What really struck me on my walk is how little snow is in the mountains this spring.  Last year I took the same hike on Memorial Day weekend and there was about 2 1/2 feet of snow on the trail after you passed the Granite Creek trailhead.  This year there was no snow at all - in fact the salmon berry brush was in full bloom at the end of the trail.  And Mt. Juneau is bare all the way to the summit! 

The state has added some more signage on the trail...which is actually quite interesting.  Here's Silverbow Basin - then and now...





At the end of the trail...I guess I never knew anything about Bart Thane...sounds like an interesting man.  With the classic "died broke and alone" ending.


Falls near the end of Perseverance Trail.  The bridge was washed-out.

In other news, for you doggie lovers I offer the following story from the Boston Globe dated May 5, 2010.
DANVERS, Mass. --A Massachusetts church is scheduled to launch a new monthly worship service -- for dogs.

Calvary Episcopal Church will offer later this month its first "Perfect Paws Pet Ministry" aimed at giving area pooches and their owners improved odds at getting canines into heaven.

The Danvers church plans to hold the service on the third Sunday of every month, complete with communion for the humans and special blessings for pets. Dogs will get special treats.

Church officials say well-mannered, leashed dogs are invited. People can submit a paper prayer if their pets are sick, not good around other dogs or deceased. Prayers can also be offered for other types of pets.

Rev. Thea Keith-Lucas tells The Salem News dogs will have a say during service because barking won't be banned.
Needless to say, this article prompted a good deal of online comment.  Many believers were offended by the whole concept.  Other readers were amused.  Here are a few comments I particularly enjoyed:
"I want to know how people know what religion their dog is. I would hate to bring my pet to a catholic church only to find out later he's Jewish."

"When I was little, my sister and I wanted to bring the cat to church. My mom said that cats don't have religion. We told her that our cat was CATholic."

"I'm sure all the Saint Bernard's get to sit up front.."

"My dog is gay, can he still go?"
To my mind this article represents the BEST of the American religious tradition.  Entrepreneurial.  Market-oriented.  If you're gay and your church doesn't think gay is so hotsy-totsy - no problem.  Start your own gay church.  Does your will bequeath all your worldly possessions to your poodle?  Well, then the Rev. Thea Keith-Lucas is your kind of cleric.

I, for one, say the more the merrier.  Indeed, by my calculation, the odds of the family pooch getting into heaven are PRECISELY THE SAME as the odds for saintly ol' Uncle Charlie or poor debauched Cousin Ralph.

No comments: