Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ol' Baldy

It's been awhile since I've posted an eagle picture...but this guy was just too good looking to pass up.  I was walking the dike trail and he was sitting in a tree.  The wind was blowing which made it look like he had a mane.  Big bird.  And very distinguished.

A mighty handsome specimen on the Airport Dike Trail

All of the migrants have migrated on through...the wetlands are in the sole possession of the year-long residents and migrants who call this neck-of-the-woods home in the summer.  Didn't see any waders.  Very few ducks.  Lots of warblers, sparrows and robins - the young ones should be hatching here shortly.

I've been walking/hiking 'til hell won't have it.  In fact, I've been neglecting my strength training and yesterday, when I finally got around to a real workout, my body let me know the price of neglect.  Every muscle group from the waist up is complaining today.  Gotta be more regular...  Ouch!

Yesterday I also took a long walk with Eric and his hounds out by the Glacier.  Walked from the new Forrest Service Building on the Back-Loop Road to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitior Center, did the ecology loop trail by the lake, and then back to the car.  I think the hounds are warming to me...since my presence is indicative of a longer than usual walk. 

On Saturday night I took Eric, his daughter Claire, and Claire's friend, Sierra to Zephyr for supper in honor of Eric's retirement.  The food was quite good and the company even better. The gals are only sixteenish and I was impressed with their willingness to try quasi-exotic groceries at an age when cheese pizza is typically the preferred fare.  And good conversationalists.  Eric is obviously doing something right!

Doug and Alison returned from vacation on Sunday.  Sounds like they had a good trip although I have not yet heard all the details.  It was warmer than normal for this time of year in the heartland. 

Well, I had a good workout today and am now contemplating the afternoon's activities.  It was supposed to be cloudy with showers so I had half-planned on doing some cooking.  But it is actually quite nice so perhaps a bike ride to the glacier and back is in order...

TallyHo!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Nice pic. The dogs are ready to go any time. Give us a call.