Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seventy Years Ago Today

Just got back from coffee at mom's and am waiting for a call from my realtor.  I should be getting a call any minute with the results of the appraisal. 

Coffee included a stroll down memory lane today (it often does).  Mom announced that it was seventy years ago today when she arrived in Juneau on the Alaska Steamship Company vessel the SS Aleutian.  It was a cloudy and misty day with light rain and she thought it was heavenly.  Mind you, she was recently delivered from southeastern Arizona in the pre-air conditioning era.  In fact, for her family it was also the pre-electricity and pre-plumbing era.  Mom still doesn't mind the rain...

With that said here's my favorite picture of mom from this era - probably a year or two later actually.  She believes it was taken before, during, or after a night on the town.  I reckon she was sixteen or seventeen at the time.  Probably when she was working in the pantry at the Baranof.  Hard to believe...

Evelyn Lindstrom (Klump) center.  Looks like they were having a fun night...

In other news, I have made reservations for a quick trip to the Great Northwest.  I will depart Juneau next Tuesday the 13th returning on the 21st.  Will visit friends in Seattle and do some shopping and then down to PDX for more visiting.  Amanda should be arriving in Portland on or about the 17th so hope to spend some quality time with my daughters.  And a big get-together with a number of old high school friends on the 16th.

Well...the phone just rang.  Good news and bad news on the appraisal.  The bad news is that I will be paying exactly what I offered (I thought the appraisal might come-in a mite lower).  The good news is that it appears I'm getting a pretty good deal.  I'm happy.  The seller is happy.  It looks very likely I will be moving-in on the first of October.  

The sun is shining.  I'm going to call Alison and see if she wants to go for a walk...

Later gang!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Yay! Happy to hear about the house and the trip down!!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

I'll get to PDX on the evening of the 15th...and on the 16th it's supper with my high school pals. Then it's time for the younger folks. Need to visit the vineyards. Need to go out to supper. Need to go shopping. You down?