Monday, August 2, 2010

Doodle Dandy

A first rate day on the father front.  The ol' coot's appetite is rebounding.  He is engaged in his therapy.  Indeed he seems to have enchanted his various caregivers with his wit, charm, and good humor.  He's always been a serious bullshitter.  The occupational therapist got him sitting up this morning and the physical therapist had him upright again this afternoon.  In the interval he entertained the dietician and was the model patient while the wound people changed his dressing.  He maintains he has little pain.  The doc is very satisfied with his progress thus far.

I am going to take my camera to the hospital tomorrow and perhaps I can catch some good pics of the ol' boy and his admirers/care givers.

In other news, I am delighted with my new digs.  A small sitting room with a couch and TV.  A bedroom with a king sized bed and another TV.  A tub that is suitable for soaking.  And best yet, they reduced the rate to under $100  a day when I extended my reservation to 30 days.

Yesterday I got caught-up on laundry and otherwise got organized.  There's now milk, juice and ice cream in the fridge.  Cereal in the cupboard.  Life is good.

Just got back from the Moose's Tooth Pizzaria and Brew Pub.  Great beer.  I was not so impressed with the pizza although I will give it another chance.  Had a thin crust and I expect that  thin crust is not their specialty.  I did enjoy watching the kitchen/server staff however.  They've got a shift of 50 folks working the kitchen and tables and the joint has the same feeling of controlled chaos as an acute care hospital ward.  I'm guessing the place seats a couple hundred guests.  They have a payroll of over 150.  A going concern.  I was seated about 4:00 PM and when I left at 5:30 PM there were at least 50 people waiting to get in...

Two noteworthy obits today:

Just heard on the evening news that Mitch Miller of "Sing Along with Mitch" fame kicked the proverbial bucket today at the tender age of 99.  As a young kiddo, the Mitch Miller Christmas album was among my all time favourites.  Ahhhh the memories....

On a more esoteric note, Morrie Yohai, inventor of the Cheese Doodle, passed away on July 27th at a mere age 90.  Mr.Yohai was particularly proud of the Doodle as a healthy food insofar as it was an extruded BAKED as opposed to FRIED snack.  In his later years Mr. Yohai devoted himself to studying the Torah and was something of a mystic.

The sun is currently shining.  I may have to go for a walk although I did have a very satisfactory workout today.  And it's supposed to reach 68 degrees tomorrow so I am going to wear shorts come hell or high water.

1 comment:

plumber55 said...

I like the Brew House Favorite with the crumbled meat, I think it is Italian sausage..............on the other side they have some pretty decent meals...........