Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ms. Moosey

My description of dad's condition is a bit more graphic than usual...so I will put it at the end of this entry and those among you who are averse to such matters may easily take a pass...

On a cheerful note, Alison Elgee was in town the past couple of days and I certainly enjoyed her company.  Last evening before supper we cruised down the Seward Highway a few miles to Potter's Marsh in the hope of doing some bird watching.  And while the birds were noticeably shy we did get to see a cow moose up close and personal.

Ms. Moosey takin' a rest and a chew. 

And after we had walked to one end of the boardwalk, Ms. Moosey had the good taste to walk down towards the other end..

Ms. Moosey within about 50 feet of Alison and Elmo...close as we cared to get.

After our Potter Marsh experience Alison and I headed back to town for supper.  We met her colleagues, Michelle and Kelly, whose last names I am ashamed to say I have already forgotten, and who work for the Department of Health and Social Services budget shop and the Governor's Office of Management and Budget respectively. We dined at "Ginger" which Alison described as a pan asian restaurant with the emphasis on the pan. 

Supper was quite delightful.  The company and conversation were most congenial and the food good.  We shared appetizers which were very serviceable although certainly not extraordinary.  For a second course I had a spinach salad that was good.  

But the duck chinois main course was truly wonderful .  Rubbed with Chinese 5 spice and served on a bed of fried rice I would put this course up against anything I've had in the Great Northwest .  Delightful!

Dessert was also shared among the assembled and I was particularly taken by Kelly's green tea infused creme brulee.  My meal was washed down with several glasses of a pinot noir whose provenance also escapes me at the moment - althought I am sure it was Californian.  And a good glass of port with dessert.  Oh yeah, and a taste of something that was like an ice wine, but whose character is derived by a bacteria of some sort.  Interesting.  But way too sweet for me.  

A most delightful evening.

I have also downloaded several pics from my walk on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail last weekend.  But I will save them for filler later.  They are not remarkable. 

So...back to dad.

On the good news front, his mind is as clear as a bell.  And the staff love him.  Except maybe the nurse last night who he jumped all over for putting pillows under his back to his discomfort.  I expect she was trying to get him rolled over a bit...off his butt which is subject to bed sores.  A serious pillow fight by all accounts.

Today his occupational therapy started out fine with lots of arm and shoulder strengthening exercises  Unfortunately, the physical therapy did not go so well.  He stood, with assistance, several times; but then he crapped his pants.  Not surprising - you lay in a bed all the time and the first time you stand up nature and gravity come into play.

He wanted to go back to his room to get cleaned-up and unfortunately continued to suffer from loose bowel movements all afternoon.  It's humiliating to him to have to be cleaned-up.  And I was concerned this afternoon that the edema in his arms seems to be worse.  

His therapy is also hampered by his fear of falling.  When the therapist attempts to stand him upright...he freaks-out...cannot hold his head up enough to lock his hips into a stable standing posture.  Tomorrow I suspect we'll try a device that is designed to help counteract this very natural fear...

On the good news front, however, we are expecting an evaluation from the Providence rehab folks shortly and we are not going to be given the heave-ho from St. Elias.  The goal remains rehab and returning home.

I continue to serve as morale officer to the best of my ability.

Every day I gain more respect for the staff here at the hospital.  A truly great crew.

The jury is still out kids... 

No comments: