Thursday, August 5, 2010

Triceps

Two workouts for the ol' coot today.  Workout #1 was getting him on a table that was cranked from the horizontal to the vertical - putting weight on his legs for the first time in several weeks.  Did not require any effort whatsoever on his part - so he thought it was pretty damn good therapy.  It IS good therapy - makes his leg muscles work.  And he did fine.

Workout #2 involved hoisting him from the bed into a wheel chair and then motoring down to the "gym" where he did some upper body strength training.  Shoulders, biceps and triceps.  Again, he did pretty well.  In fact I think he surprised himself.  Then the hoist back to bed.

I am under the impression that both his physical and occupational therapists are of the opinon that he is a good candidate for the intensive rehab program at Providence.  Not so sure about the docs opinion and I have not yet seen the evaluator from Providence.  Dad says he's willing to give it his all - a commitment to cooperate with three hours of rehab a day. Stay tuned...

In other news I had a nice supper with Alison at Jens last evening.  I had a beef Wellington and Alison enjoyed the Veal entree.  We shared a couple of appetizers - a salmon gravad lax on my part and a duck sausage with honey and mustard on Alison' part.  Both tasty.  My dessert was a key lime pie and Alison had a Scandinavian berry compote with cream.  A delightful supper and a real pleasure company-wise.  It's possible we can do it again next week...

The weather forecast for the weekend is mixed.  Some showers but some sun too.  If dad is doing well I may see if he will countenance my taking a leave day...either drive down the Kenai or up into Palin country.  Would like to do some walking outdoors and maybe some birding...  I brought my camera and gear.  We'll see.

This afternoon I was working-out at the Alaska Club East and when I got off the treadmill and turned-around there was my cousin Brock humping away on the stairmaster.  He was right behind me...but did not recognize my bald pate.  Hah.

We immediately recognized each other face-to-face - although he did allow that I looked older than when I last saw him three years ago.  I have already forgiven him for the comment which, sadly, is simply a statement of the obvious.  On the other hand, he looks amazingly like his mom - something I guess I never really recognized before.  Which is to say he also looks somewhat like me - in a six foot plus sort of way.  Lots of shared genes when two brothers marry two sisters...his mom, Janis, was Aunt Emilie's daughter.  Jan passed away back in the 1970's.

I have spoken with Brock several times since I've been in Anchorage.  But dad has not wanted company - so we had not yet got together.  We will do so.  Brock has two boys - about 12 and 10, I believe.  They were swimming at the club.  His wife works in the ER at the Alaska Native Medical Center.  Brock is taking care of the lads.

By all accounts Brock, his wife Ruth Ann and the kids are thriving.  Perhaps I need to take my two young cousins shopping with their dad.  That would amuse me. 

No comments: