Monday, August 23, 2010

Let's Go Home!

A quiet Sunday.  Got dad into the atrium for 3 hours or so.  He was in good spirits both yesterday and today.  Today's physical therapy was good -   we got him standing with the assistance of a hydraulic lift.  The machine grabbed him by the butt and stood him up while he rested his arms on a table.  He can put weight on both legs.  The drill convinced him that he can be upright.  But will he ever be able to do those things by himself?  I tend to think not...

After the PT we spent a couple of hours in the atrium...he loves soaking up the sun.

Dad's mind is pretty good.  He is thinking about the logistics of getting home.  He REALLY wants to be in Juneau.   A huge motivator which all the staff and I will shamelessly use this week to gain his cooperation on things he might not otherwise be so hotsy-totsy about. 

I finished my business at the hospital around 2 PM and went for a work out. It was around 4:30 PM when I was done...so did not stop back at the hospital.  As I was parking at a low/middle brow (or is that middle/low brow) eating establishment, I got a call from the Juneau Hospice and Home Care folks.  Answered a few questions.  Talked about procuring various medical supplies.  I have the utmost confidence in the Juneau home care folks.  We are on course for a return home.

This is going to be a very closely run thing...and I am under no illusions regarding the effort involved in sustaining dad at home.  We may fail.  But then again, we may not - and dad's resilience never ceases to amaze me. 

And, as for me - as I was so fond of telling my colleagues at the office when faced with a difficult task:  "It all pays the same."  I am retired, single and fancy free...not that this was exactly what I had in mind...but life is full of whimsy and odd twists and turns.  Or as Grandma Newman used to say: "Such it is..."

In any event, by this time tomorrow I hope to be able to report a definitive departure date from Anchorage.

Until then...

No comments: