Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tick Tock

The countdown continues.  Tuesday cannot come soon enough for me or dad...  We want to go home.

Thursday we went over to Providence hospital for an appointment with his surgeon.  They took numerous x-rays.  The doc thought they were very pretty pictures indeed.  He's packing a bunch of metal in his right leg and the x-rays were quite amazing...lots of wires, pins and other hardware...but everything in its proper place and alignment.  His wound is healing well and the doc couldn't have been more pleased.

Yesterday we did the usual therapy routine and it went well...although he is still very skittish about anything that makes him feel like he might fall.  Can't say that I blame in on the one hand; but on the other hand his fear of falling makes therapy less effective than it might otherwise be...and I am concerned that once he is home he will simply refuse to participate in any meaningful therapy.  But that is a concern for another day...

He apparently had considerable discomfort last evening and this morning and has had two doses of narcotics.  He is oblivious today.   I will stay through lunch and hopefully I can get some food into him...but I doubt if I will be able to get him up and about today. 

In other news, Joan Kasson was up on business and Wednesday night we had a delightful dinner at a Kinley's, a very nice restaurant just a block from my hotel.  I had noticed the place in passing but had not recognized it as being a respectable establishment.  I had fresh Kodiak scallops and they were outstanding.  For dessert I ordered an apple/cinnamon sorbet and it was delicious - I think I need to buy an ice cream maker...

Well...back to Captain Aubrey/Dr. Maturin in Volume 13 of their saga titled The Thirteen Gun Salute.  The boys are off to the Pacific coast of South America to sow confusion among their enemies. If today proves as uneventful as I expect,  I will be purchasing Volumes 14-17 later this afternoon.  

Later gang... 

No comments: