Monday, August 9, 2010

People

Well, a pretty good day with dad.  Our PT this morning was attempting to stand-up with the assistance of the therapist and parrallel bars.  He could not stand by himself; but was able to stand with minimal support from the therapist.  His mind was very clear and good today.  Modest progress.  Tomorrow is committee review day...we'll see what they think...

My days have been pretty routine.  To the hospital in the morning, a workout mid-day, back to the hospital, supper, bed...and then do it all over again.  But even so, I have a few observations.

Alaska remains a state of itinerant laborers.  The oil guys, of course.  I was vastly amused by a conversation with a lad from Mississippi while I was at the Motel 6 waiting for a cab one morning.  He was waxing indignant about the influx of low-wage hispanics in Mississippi.  They take all the jobs.  They aren't like "us".  Yet he was oblivious to the irony of traveling 3000 miles or so to work on the North Slope three weeks on and two weeks off.  And I can assure you he ain't like "me"...although he may well be like "us" Alaskans - generically speaking -  in the year 2010.  A decent lad in his own way, I suppose, but nobody I would invite into my own home.

On the other hand, I had a delightful conversation with a gal at the Peanut Farm the other evening.  Turns out she is a uniformed Coast Guard reservist serving in the Gulf of Mexico.  She's been there for two years working on a project to remove hazards to navigation from the Misssissippi River and its various tributaries in Louisiana.  Lots of boats both small and not so small.  And lots of other weird shit besides.  She previously lived in Anchorge - served in Sitka and Kodiak and plans to make Alaska her home.  I would be more than happy to invite her into my home.

Last night I was choking down an exceedingly mediorcre meal at a well known chain restaurant of no distinction when I found myself sitting next to a young army guy.  A tour in Iraq.  A tour in Afghanistan.  From Texas originally.  Struck me as a very decent lad...sobered by his experiences...but quite together.  We spoke about a number of things political and otherwise and while he was certainly more conservative than myself, he struck me as tolerant, thoughtful, and mature.  I bought him dinner.

On the other hand, tonight I was sitting at the bar at TGI Fridays (another monumentally forgettable meal) when two guys sat down to my left.  They ordered a martini and a manhattan...were minding their own business when they were set-upon by a couple of louts sitting to their left who questioned their sexual orientation. 

The louts had been announcing to one and all for a half-hour that they were just in from fishing in the Bering Sea (I reckon this is supposed to be a babe magnet thing in the Deadliest Catch era) and apparently thought that a little gay bashing would further burnish their manly credentials.

To the credit of the TGI Friday's staff...the louts were immediately given the bum's rush.  I bought the gay bois a drink.

So there you have it...   

No comments: