Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wet, Wet, Wet

Started raining last night and hasn't stopped all day...although it looks like there might be a break in the offing.  Might be a little better this weekend.  We'll see.

I've been doing my routine.  To the hospital between 7:30 AM and 8:00 AM, a couple of hours off for a workout mid-day, and then back to the hospital 'til 4:00 PM or so.  Lots of folks parading through dad's room during the course of the day.  The physical therapist got him into a wheelchair today and we toured around for awhile and then went to the "gym" for some strength training.  Dad's been doing better every day.  But it's slow.

This afternoon I met with the discharge planner and we talked about options.  Best, of course, would be discharge home.  But based on the pace of his recovery, I think it unlikely we will be homeward bound anytime real soon.  Providence has an intensive rehab program - three hours of therapy each day.  That would be the best option if Providence thinks he can handle it and he's willing to try.  The other option would be a nursing facility where I expect he would receive less therapy than he is currently receiving.  Discharge home would still be the goal but I strongly suspect the likelihood of achieving it would be less likely via the nursing home than through the intensive rehab.

At some point (I'm guessing one or two weeks) he will no longer need the medical support provided at St. Elias and Medicare and his private insurance will demand a discharge of some sort.  Time will tell.

In other news, Alison is in Anchorage on business and tonight we're going to a restaurant called Jens.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Jens was one of Arthur Snowden's favourite dining establishments.  I will report!

No comments: