Thursday, October 7, 2010

Boys Night Out

Another great day in the Emerald City.  Had a good workout.  Went to the beach at Madison Park and soaked-up some sun.  Then watched Mr. Halladay pitch a no-hitter for the Phillies before heading down to the Sorrento Hotel for supper at the Hunt Club with ol' high school chums Tim Milnes, Brent Long, and Kurt Ahrensfeld.

I hadn't seen Kurt in almost thirty years.  He's a civil engineer for a private firm here in Puget Sound and is thriving.  Kurt has been hosting an annual reunion for JDHS Class of '74(ish) folks for the past six years or so here in Puget Sound.  I missed it this summer; but hope to add it to my calendar for the future.    

The four of us were seated for supper about 5:30 PM and finished our dessert around 9:30 PM.  We jibber-jabbered away the whole time.  Covered the waterfront from childhood memories (both good and bad) to middle-aged angst.  I was hugely amused...and I THINK a good time was had by all.

Supper was good but certainly not great.  We had antipasto and cheese plates for appetizers and they were kinda haphazard. My pumpkin and squash soup was OK but lacked depth...wonder about the stock...  On the other hand, the scallops were sweet and delicious and perfectly done.  And a couple of scoops of homemade sorbet for afters...

Depending on how my travel plans develop, I may have an opportunity to see Tim again shortly.  He lives in Tenino and perhaps I will be able to stop and visit him and Mary Lou on my return from the south.  And I know I will see Brent over the holidays - he'll be in Juneau for the week between Christmas and New Years.

Think I may go do a little shopping downtown today.  And then a workout, of course.  I will be spending the night at T's mom's in Ballard tonight...she is a hoot.  I expect I will be fetching supper from her favourite terriyaki emporium this evening.  And noonish tomorrow T. and I will hit-the-road for Portland.

Later gang!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Elmer,

I have been reading through your blog and your excellent posts and pictures. I just wanted to thank you again for a great night out last night! The salmon was awesome! It was fantastic to trip through the years with you, Brent and Tim. I look forward to keeping in touch with you. Cheers, Kurt

Unknown said...

Hey Elmer, I saw the weather forecast for the northwest this morning and I'm thinking PD may be calling you!