Monday, October 18, 2010

Good News, Bad News in Florence, Oregon

The good news first.  My golf game has not deteriorated from a year of inactivity on the links.  The bad news:  My golf game is substantially the same as a year ago.  Still, had a very fine time playing 18 holes at the Ocean Dunes course.  Very few people playing and beautiful weather.  I have therefore elected to spend another night in Florence so that I might hit the little ball again tomorrow.

My drive down from Lincoln City was delightful.  I pulled-off the road a dozen times or so to sight see.  Saw a pod of gray whales from a great distance and lots of sea lions.  Took a walk to the Hecate Head lighthouse which was very scenic.

Pelicans Chillin' south of Depoe Bay

Cool Rocks at Hecate Head just north of Florence

Hecate Head Lighthouse

The Oregon Coast is chock-a-block full of interesting place names.  Among my favourites are Cape Foulweather, Cook's Chasm, the Devil's Punchbowl (I think this is where "he who must not be named" invented our collegiate party drink of choice, Purple Jesus), Cape Disappointment, and the Devil's Churn (this must be where you-know-who makes his creme fraiche).  These names also give one a good sense of what the weather in this neck-of-the-woods must look like in January...

But I digress again. So to make a long story short I'm gonna hang at Florence 'til Wednesday morning.  Then drive down to Northern California for a couple of days.  At least one day of hiking in the Redwoods.  The weather is supposed to hold through Thursday.

I will then work my way back up to Portland - probably via I-5.  Maybe spend a night in Ashland and/or Corvallis.  Then Sunday through Wednesday back in the City of Roses for more visiting and dining.  My pal Arthur should be back in town and there are other folks I would like to see as well.

So, there you have it!

No comments: