Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hiking Fool

God I love the coast.  Particularly in excellent weather...

The classic northern coast pic

A great day yesterday.  Took TWO hikes - the first to the summit of Cascade Head just north of Lincoln City.  About 2.5 miles one-way and a rise of almost 1500 feet.  This was an aerobic event...was huffing and puffing and sweating like a little piggy (to mix my faerie tale metaphors) before I reached the summit. 

It was worth it though.  Spectacular view looking south along the coast as well as east up the Salmon River.  Lots of happy people hiking.  No doggies though!  The Nature Conservancy is restoring vegetation on the trail and four-legged friends are banned. 

Lincoln City from Cascade Head

YIKES!

Elmo at the Summit

Got back to the car and decided I could use some more punishment so motored inland on Highway 18 a few miles and then up a very narrow and winding Forrest Service Road 10 miles or so to the Drift Creek Falls trail head.  This trail was all through the woods down into a ravine with a small but beautiful waterfall and a 200 foot long suspension bridge.  Truly a "bridge to nowhere" but a very pleasant hike.

A "bridge to  nowhere"

  Actually it's a bridge to give you this view

After this second workout it was time to return to the hotel for a glass of wine and supper.  Reckon I hiked about 10 miles during the course of the day.  Was in bed by 10 PM and slept like the proverbial log.

Today I'll drive down the coast for about 2 hours to Florence, Oregon.  Have a room for two nights on the beach.  There are lots of State Parks along the coast on the way and will take my time for sightseeing.  A couple from Corvallis I met last evening spent time watching some gray whales just south of here yesterday.  Said they were pretty close to the beach.

Upon my arrival in Florence I will probably get the golf clubs out of the trunk and confirm that a year of abstinence from the game has NOT improved my swing.

Finally, a pic from Portland - lunch with Amanda and Maria...


Lunch in the City

Well, it's another spectacular day...gonna get this show on the road...

No comments: